As businesses begin to bounce back from the impact the COVID-19 pandemic has caused, they may be ready to start hiring new employees. The pandemic has pushed our society to make changes in the way we communicate with one another. This poses new challenges to the ways businesses can go about recruiting and interviewing potential candidates. Luckily, we live in a time when technology can do so much for us and virtual interviews are possible.
As a job seeker, it is important to view a virtual interview just as you would view an in-person interview. It may be different and may not feel as “real” as an in-person interview, but it is still your time to shine and to give your best first impression, even if it is through a screen.
With that said, these tips are some things to remember when preparing for your next virtual interview:
- Dress to impress. You may be in your home, but it is still important to wear your best interview outfit.
- Ensure that your equipment is working properly. Some things cannot be prevented when it comes to technology, but be sure to test everything out prior to the interview.
- Be aware of what is in your background. Ensure that the area behind you is clear of anything that could be viewed as offensive or distracting. Don’t give the interviewer a reason to judge you based upon what is in your background.
- Try to find a quiet spot to conduct the interview to avoid noisy distractions.
- Minimize your movements. Just as with an in-person interview, making a lot of movements can be a distraction. Increased movements with a virtual interview may cause the screens to bounce or freeze, or you may go outside the frame of the camera.
As the use of virtual interviews continues to increase, I am sure more tips and suggestions will be added to this list. We are all in a time of learning new ways to go about our lives; hopefully these tips will help you achieve great success with your next virtual interview!